This fabulous french toast recipe is the best! Learn how to make french toast with a few simple ingredients and two easy steps. With buttery, crisp edges and a soft center, this french toast will surely make your morning special.
Did you know that french toast is my most requested breakfast recipe? I love to ask my readers what recipes they would like to see made into single serving versions and every time I ask, a classic french toast recipe is always at the top of everyone’s list.
French toast is such a simple breakfast to make. Minimal ingredients – minimal effort – amazing taste.
Best Type Of Bread To Use
There may be some debate over which bread is the best bread to use to make french toast. You can make it with virtually any type of bread. I love using sourdough and cinnamon-raisin bread but regular sliced sandwich bread; white or wheat works perfectly well too.
This easy recipe is the perfect one to use leftover bread in. Even though the bread may be a day or so past its prime, soaking the bread in the milk mixture magically transforms it.
The ingredients found in this easy french toast recipe are:
- one egg
- a touch of vanilla
- a pinch of cinnamon
- a tiny bit of sugar
I’ve used whole, skim, and 2% milk in this french toast recipe. I’ve also used soy milk, coconut milk, and almond milk. One of the wonderful things about this breakfast recipe is that you can use many different types of milk with success.
You can also use a sugar substitute in place of the scant 1/8 teaspoon of sugar. Feel free to leave the sugar out altogether if you’d like.
How To Make French Toast
Here is how to make french toast in two easy steps:
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Place bread slices, one or two at a time, into the egg mixture and flip to make sure both sides of bread are well-coated.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet or on a griddle. Place bread slices in skillet or on griddle and cook on medium heat until golden brown on each side, about 2-3 minutes.
Serve immediately with extra butter and syrup.
In addition to making french toast in the skillet or griddle, you might also like trying a baked french toast made with leftover croissants or pastries. This mini french toast casserole is baked in a small baking dish.
Other Single Serving Breakfast Recipes
- Pancakes For One
- Waffle For One
- Small Batch Biscuit Recipe
- Blueberry Muffin For One
- Baked Oatmeal With Fruit For One
- Breakfast Bread Pudding For One
For this french toast recipe for one, I use a 10-inch skillet. For best results, use a pan of similar size.
More information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one” is available on our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk (use whole, skim, soy, almond, or coconut)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Whisk together the egg and milk in a medium-sized bowl. Add the vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon and whisk until well incorporated.
- Place bread slices, one or two at a time, into the egg mixture and flip to make sure both sides of bread are well-coated.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized skillet or griddle. Place one of both slices of the bread into the skillet and cook slices until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side. Serve with syrup.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Click HERE to sign up to receive latest single serving recipes in your inbox!