Healthy baked Chicken Caprese, an easy recipe filled with flavor! One chicken breast, seasoned and baked along with one sliced tomato, onions, a splash of balsamic and topped with melted Mozzarella cheese. A wonderful single serving meal!
Chicken is a wonderful protein to consider when you are cooking for yourself. You can grill it, sauté it, or bake it and it’s extremely versatile. One of my favorite chicken recipes is this Chicken Caprese. It’s light, healthy, and so flavorful!
What Is Chicken Caprese?
You will find the same ingredients in a Caprese Salad in a Chicken Caprese.
One chicken breast is seasoned, then topped with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and baked along with a sliced tomato and red onions. After the chicken has baked through, remove it from the oven and top the chicken with mozzarella cheese.
Bake the chicken for a few minutes longer so that the cheese melts and enjoy!
Everything cooks in one baking dish for easy clean up.
How To Make Chicken Caprese
- This easy recipe begins with one chicken breast that is seasoned with a mixture of dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Place the seasoned chicken into a small baking dish surrounded by one sliced tomato and red onions. Drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over the chicken and the vegetables and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Add shredded Mozzarella over the top of the chicken and place back in the oven to bake for another 5 minutes, just enough time for the cheese to melt.
What To Serve With Chicken Caprese
This Chicken Caprese recipe makes enough for one meal but you might also like to consider adding any one of these side dishes:
Add a serving of pasta and enjoy a delightful Chicken Caprese Pasta.
Chicken Caprese Tips
Pro Tip 1: I like to keep chicken pieces in my freezer so that I can pull one out, defrost it, and cook it when I want it. Look for chicken breasts (or thighs) and purchase them when they’re on sale. Then, immediately divide, individually wrap, and freeze the pieces for later use.
The USDA recommends freezing chicken breasts no longer than nine months for optimal quality so be sure to record the “frozen on” date on your packages of chicken.
Pro Tip 2: You will use about a third of a cup of chopped red onions in this Chicken Caprese recipe. Store your cut onion in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
You can also chop the remainder of the onion and freeze it. When you are ready to use onions in a recipe, break off the amount you need and add it to your dish. You can add them frozen and they will thaw while cooking.
You can also use the red onion in any of these recipes for one:
For information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Other Single Serving Chicken Recipes
If you like this baked chicken caprese recipe, you might also like to try these easy chicken recipes:
- Chicken with Mustard Tarragon Sauce
- Chicken Fricassee
- Cashew Chicken
- Chicken with Artichokes
- Lemon Garlic Chicken
- 1 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 Roma tomato , quartered
- 1/3 cup chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place the chicken breast in a small baking dish. Sprinkle with olive oil, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Place the quartered tomatoes and diced onions around the chicken.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the top of the chicken and vegetables.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- After the chicken is cooked through, sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Place the baking dish back into the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes, until cheese has melted.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.