This small batch scone recipe is perfect to use with a toaster oven. Filled with berries, these scones are buttery and perfect for breakfast!
These berry scones are loaded with whole juicy blackberries which provide the perfect amount of sweetness. They’re baked in a toaster oven and when the scones bake, the berries inside become soft and deliver a fresh burst of flavor with each bite.
This is a simple recipe makes four scones which is the perfect amount if you are cooking one or two.
No toaster oven? No problem, these scones can be made in a normal oven too.
How To Make Scones
To get started, first blend dry ingredients.
Add in 1/2 stick of cold butter cut into cubes and process if you’re using a food processor. If mixing by hand, use a pastry blender.
The mixture should resemble wet sand.
Whisk together one egg and 1/4 cup of cream.
Transfer the dry ingredients with butter to a large bowl and pour in the egg and the cream and mix it well.
Add 1/2 cup of blackberries or raspberries to the bowl and very gently mix them. Be very careful not to over mix.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead into a ball.
Flatten the dough with your hands and slice into fourths.
In a small bowl, make the streusel topping.
Brush the tops of the scones with heavy cream and spoon the streusel topping over each one.
Place the scones in a preheated toaster oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
Other Scone Recipes
If you like this berry scone recipe, you might also like to try these small batch scone recipes:
For this small batch scone recipe, I use our favorite toaster oven.
If you would like additional information on the dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes we use, please visit our Store page.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- zest of 1 lemon (about 1 heaping tablespoon)
- 4 tablespoons cold butter cut into small pieces, 1/2 stick
- 1/4 cup heavy cream plus 1 additional tablespoon for brushing over tops of scones
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- Preheat the toaster oven to 425 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl or a food processor, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and lemon zest.
- Cut in the butter with either a pastry blender or the food processor until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and the egg.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and blend.
- Gently fold in the berries.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Put a little flour on your hands and gently knead the dough slightly.
- Flatten to about 1/2-inch thickness and slice into fourths.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and softened butter for the topping.
- Spoon topping over each scone.
- Transfer scones to the toaster oven baking sheet and place in the toaster oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.