Easy, healthy, and absolutely delicious, this Broccolini with Sausage recipe is perfect for a busy evening. Steamed broccolini or broccoli sautéed in olive oil with sliced garlic, and sausage. A wonderful meal that can be on your table in 30 minutes!
This broccolini with sausage recipe is perfect to use on a busy evening. From start to finish, this simple "meal for one" can be on your table in 30 minutes.
I love using broccolini in recipes. Its mild taste and tender stalks make it perfect addition to an easy skillet meal.
Although broccolini looks like baby broccoli, it isn't really broccoli. Broccolini was developed in Japan and is a hybrid between broccoli and Chinese broccoli (Chinese kale).
It's got long thin stalks and smaller florets than broccoli and can be sautéed, steamed, roasted or grilled.
If you can find broccolini, I would encourage you to use it in this recipe. If not, feel free to substitute broccoli in its place.
How To Cook Broccolini
- Cook the broccolini quickly in a little salted boiling water.
- Drain it, pat it dry, then rough chop it and set it aside.
How To Make Broccolini With Sausage
I use about 3.5 ounces (about 3/4 cup sliced) of smoked sausage. Mild kielbasa, spicy andouille, bratwurst, or turkey sausage are all great sausage options to use.
- Step 1: I sauté the sausage in a little olive oil along with sliced garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Step 2: Add in the cooked broccolini and heat it along with the sausage and garlic.
- Step 3: When all of the ingredients are heated through, remove the skillet from the heat, stir in a touch of lemon juice and top with Parmesan cheese.
A wonderful 30 minute meal that tastes incredibly delicious!
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
- Smoked sausage: Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers, Jambalaya, Red Beans and Rice
- Broccolini: Use in place of broccoli in any of these recipes: Broccoli Cheese Soup, Cashew Chicken, Italian Pasta Salad
What To Serve With Broccolini And Sausage
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1/4 pound broccolini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3.5 ounces sliced smoked sausage , can use Kielbasa, Bratwurst, Andouille, or turkey sausage
- 1 clove garlic , thinly sliced
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Blanch the broccolini in a medium-sized pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain immediately and cool under cold running water. Gently squeeze the broccolini and pat dry. Place broccolini on a cutting board and chop.
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook one side over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Flip the sausages over, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook the other side of the sausages for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the garlic doesn't burn.
- Add the broccolini to the skillet and cook, stirring until tender, 3 minutes.
- Remove skillet from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt, to taste.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.