A tender and juicy roasted Cornish hen is the perfect size if you’re cooking for one. This wonderfully seasoned oven roasted Cornish game hen makes a great single serving meal and is so easy to cook.
A roasted Cornish hen makes a wonderful meal if you’re cooking for one. For a fabulous meal add a side of vegetables, rice and/or a salad.
I’ll often roast Cornish hens if I’ve invited friends over for dinner. Cornish hens are easy to cook and they make such an elegant presentation at your dinner table. If you’re cooking for one, consider making one for yourself, it’s as easy to cook as a chicken and incredibly delicious too.
What Are Cornish Hens?
A Cornish hen is sometimes referred to as a Cornish game hen and it looks just like a miniature chicken. They typically weigh between 1 and 2 pounds. They’re simply a particular breed of chicken and taste just like chicken. A hen’s small size makes it ideal for serving one person.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- a Cornish game hen
- salt and black pepper
- dried rosemary
- olive oil
How To Cook A Cornish Hen
- Stuff a lemon wedge, garlic cloves, rosemary, salt and pepper inside the cavity of the hen. Add a little olive oil and butter to the top of the hen and then sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
- Place the hen on a bed of vegetables to roast along with the hen in the same pan.
What To Serve With Cornish Hen
When I roast a single Cornish hen, I use a 9 1/2-inch baking dish.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1 Cornish game hen , rinsed and dried
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt , divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper , divided
- 1 wedge lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots , peeled and thickly chopped
- 2-3 red skinned potatoes , scrubbed and quartered
- 1 teaspoon olive oil , divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Stuff the cavity of the hen with rosemary, ¼ teaspoon of salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper, the lemon wedge and the garlic cloves. Set aside.
- Arrange the carrots and potatoes in a small lightly oiled baking dish.
- Place the hen on top of the vegetables.
- Rub the olive oil over the top of the hen and drizzle over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper over the hen and the vegetables.
- Place the butter on top of the hen and bake for 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165 degrees F and the juices run clear. Remove the hen from the oven, loosely tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving or serving.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!