A lovely Lime Posset recipe made with cream, lime juice, and sugar. Easy to make and so rich and creamy. No eggs, no gelatin, no flour, and no cornstarch needed. The sweet and tart taste is perfectly balanced in this simple single serving dessert.
What Is A Posset?
A posset is an old-fashioned English dessert which has the texture of a creamy mousse or pudding.
This egg-free "custard" comes together as if by magic by mixing together sugar, cream, and citrus juice. No eggs, gelatin, flour, or cornstarch are needed, the posset thickens without any of them.
You might be familiar with my Honey Lemon Posset and if you love it, then I know you you'll absolutely love this Lime Posset too.
How Does A Posset Thicken?
It's amazing and almost magical to see how a posset can thicken so easily.
You see, when you add an acid (citrus juice) to milk it causes the milk to sour or curdle (as it would when making paneer), but when you add an acid to cream, the effect is entirely different. Because cream has more fat and less water than milk, the texture becomes smooth and creamy.
In the case of this Lime Posset, the cream and sugar are heated together then combined with lime juice, a touch of vanilla, and a little lime zest. This is when the magic happens.
The sweetened liquid mysteriously turns into a soft, creamy, delicate custard.
How To Make A Lime Posset
- Combine 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Slowly bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- After allowing the mixture to simmer for 2 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lime juice, vanilla, and lime zest.
- Stir gently and let the mixture steep for about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a little ramekin. Place the posset in the refrigerator to chill for at least for 4-5 hours.
For this Lime Posset, I use either a 6-ounce or an 8-ounce ramekin. For best results, use a dish of similar size.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lime zest (optional)
- Heat the cream and the sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Slowly bring to a simmer, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Continue to simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lime juice, vanilla, and the lime zest (if using).
- Let the mixture steep for 5 minutes.
- Pour into a 6-ounce or an 8-ounce ramekin (or use a dish of similar size). Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.