How To Get 5 Meals From 1 Chicken – Roasting a whole chicken is perfect for meal planning. See how easy it is to roast a chicken in the oven with this easy recipe. Also provided are several several single serving recipes made with the leftover chicken to use throughout the week.
Roasting a whole chicken to last several meals is such a great idea.
Certainly, if you’re browsing the recipes here on One Dish Kitchen, you’ll see mostly single serving recipes or ones that will serve two people. That doesn’t mean that cooking one larger meal that will leave you with fabulous tasting leftovers isn’t a good idea – it totally is!
A whole chicken is super easy to cook and the leftovers are fabulous!
Below we’re sharing a wonderful roasted chicken recipe, over five delicious ways to use the chicken leftovers, a shopping list, and additional recipes using up any leftover ingredients.
Oven Roasted Chicken
When I roast a chicken, I like to cook an assortment of vegetables in the same pan. It makes the perfect meal because the main dish and the side dish conveniently cooks together.
This makes meal number 1.
How To Roast Chicken
Scroll down to the recipe box for the complete recipe with ingredients and full instructions
When I roast a chicken, I don’t use a roasting rack. Instead I place the chicken on a bed of fresh chopped vegetables that will cook alongside the chicken.
Feel free to use your favorite vegetables but I love using carrots, potatoes and broccoli florets.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken with paper towels. Be sure to remove any giblets and the neck if included.
- Season the inside of the chicken with salt, pepper, and spices. I love adding dried or fresh rosemary along with a few lemon slices and garlic cloves.
- Place the chicken on a roasting pan and scatter the vegetables around the chicken.
- To make sure the crust of the chicken is flavorful and crispy, rub olive oil and softened butter over the skin and over the vegetables.
- The chicken roasts in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes and will fill your kitchen with such an incredible aroma.
How Long Does Cooked Chicken Last In The Fridge?
Cooked chicken will last for 3-4 days if kept covered in the refrigerator.
5 Meals From 1 Roast Chicken
Having leftover chicken can certainly be a blessing, so consider yourself lucky. Extra chicken can make meal planning easy. Here are our favorite recipes made with leftover chicken:
You can also:
Make a chicken salad.
Add it to fried rice.
Add to Alfredo Sauce and serve over pasta.
Your Shopping List For At Least 5 Meals Made With One Chicken
Feel free to substitute your favorite vegetables for the ones on this list and scroll down below to see ways to use up any leftover ingredients.
From The Store
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 5 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 small onions
- 9 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 5-6 pound chicken
- 1 lemon
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth (may use vegetable broth instead)
- 1 cup pasta
- 2 ounces frozen peas and carrots (may use your favorite frozen vegetables instead)
- 1/4 sheet of puff pastry
- 2 cups chopped lettuce or other salad greens
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 egg
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 ounces rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
Possible Pantry Items
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary or basil
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
What To Do With Leftover Ingredients
Consider using any leftover ingredients from the recipes listed above in any of these single serving recipes:
Click on the recipe title to go straight to the recipe.
- Pasta: Roasted Vegetable Pasta, Shrimp and Prosciutto Pasta, Pasta Salad
- Frozen Vegetables: Minestrone Soup, Fried Rice
- Blue Cheese: Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- Puff Pastry: Strawberry Cheesecake Puffs
- Bacon: Bacon Cheeseburger Mini Meatloaf, Twice Baked Potato, Potato Soup, Stuffed Fish
- Eggs: Breakfast Casserole, Lemon Meringue Pie, Baked Oatmeal, Cheesy Baked Eggs
- Avocado: Avocado Toast
- Rice Noodles: Thai Shrimp Soup
- Curry Paste: Use Thai curry as a base for stir fried rice or noodles. Just thin it out with a little milk or broth and toss with noodles or rice.
- Whisk a little bit of Thai curry paste with yogurt or sour cream for a creamy vinaigrette or dip for vegetables. Add a tiny bit of lemon juice and sugar or honey for sweetness, if needed.
- Spread it on fish before steaming or baking for a burst of flavor.
What To Serve With Roast Chicken
You might like to consider serving any of these easy side dish recipes with roasted chicken:
Other Chicken Recipes For One
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Roast Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 carrots , thickly sliced
- 1 onion , thickly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic , divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 5-6 pound chicken , rinsed and patted dry & giblets removed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt , divided
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper , divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 lemon , sliced in half
- 4 tablespoons butter , softened
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place the broccoli, carrots, onion and 2 cloves of the garlic in a roasting pan. Toss with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat the outside dry with a paper towel.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of crushed black pepper and dried rosemary to the inside of the chicken.
- Stuff the cavity with the cut lemon, the two remaining cloves of garlic and two tablespoons of butter.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the roasting pan.
- Rub the outside skin of the chicken with the remaining 2 tablespoons of softened butter and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil.
- Sprinkle the top of the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices of the chicken run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes.
- Slice the chicken and serve with the vegetables.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen! Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!