This Chinese-style fried rice recipe is the best! Quick to make and easily customizable with your favorite vegetables and/or protein. Ready in less than 20 minutes!
For years I’ve been making fried rice because it’s a wonderful meal to make when you have leftover rice or extra vegetables that need to be used up.
This quick and easy to recipe is full of flavor, it’s hearty and it’s easily customizable. You can use the vegetables listed in our recipe or use your favorites.
How To Make Fried Rice
I love using frozen vegetables in my fried rice because I always have bags of vegetables in my freezer.
Pro Tip: Frozen vegetables are great to keep on hand when you cook for one because you can take out the amount you need and keep the rest in the freezer. You don’t have to worry about the vegetables going bad because they’re frozen.
If you prefer fresh vegetables, you can certainly use those too. Fresh broccoli florets and finely chopped carrots are fabulous.
The thing to remember is that this recipe is highly adaptable. Feel free to add in pieces of chicken, shrimp, and even tofu if you’d like .
Since I don’t always have leftover rice in my refrigerator or freezer, I use my easy baked brown rice recipe instead.
- Add 1/3 cup of hot water to 2/3 cup of brown rice, a pinch of salt and a 1/2 tablespoon of butter to a small baking dish and bake in a 400 degree oven.
Perfect rice every single time. If you want to make more than one serving, the rice recipe doubles well too.
See complete recipe with ingredient list in the recipe box below
Begin by melting butter in a medium-sized pan. Add in chopped onions and minced garlic and cook for a few minutes.
Stir in cooked rice and push the rice, onions, and garlic to the sides of the pan. Add an egg to the center of the pan and cook the egg, stirring constantly until the egg is scrambled and thoroughly cooked.
Then add in 1/2 cup peas and 1/2 cup corn (both frozen and thawed).
Pour in 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and add salt and black pepper, if necessary.
You can serve fried rice as either a main dish or a side dish.
Fried rice makes a nice substitute for plain cooked rice. Add meat or seafood to make a great main dish meal.
I use a 10-inch skillet for this fried rice, For best results, please use a pan of similar size.
If you would like more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
Examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen can be found at our Store page.
What To Serve With Fried Rice
You might consider serving fried rice with any of these single serving recipes:
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 3/4 cup cooked rice (I like to use cooked brown rice)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper , to taste (optional)
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Push the rice, onions, and garlic to the sides of the pan.
- Add the egg to the center of the pan and cook the egg until scrambled. When the egg is almost completely cooked mix it in with the rice/onion mixture.
- Add the peas and the corn to the pan and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in the soy sauce and taste. Add salt and pepper, if necessary.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionists’ advice.
Connecting with One Dish Kitchen
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using that link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.