This Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes recipe might become your new favorite way to cook sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes cook in minutes and come out perfectly creamy and fluffy every single time.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables and I prepare them often this time of the year. I recently discovered how to cook sweet potatoes in an Instant Pot and I don't think I'll ever go back to baking potatoes in the oven.
I have to admit, I resisted the urge to rush out to buy an Instant Pot when they first came on the market. You see, I grew up with pressure cookers - my mother cooked with them often and frankly, they terrified me. Her constant warnings to "stand back!" and "don't touch!" made me afraid to have one for myself.
I decided to purchase a 3-quart Instant Pot because Instant Pot recipes are becoming so popular and my readers have been asking for them. I was surprised by how simple they are to operate and not scary at all. In fact, these Instant Pot sweet potatoes cook perfectly with hardly any effort on my part at all.
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes In An Instant Pot
When I make Instant Pot sweet potatoes, I will mostly cook two sweet potatoes at a time - one to eat now and one to save for another meal.
- Wash, scrub, and poke holes in the sweet potato with the tines of a fork.
- Add 1 cup of water to the 3-quart Instant Pot.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the steaming trivet that comes with the Instant Pot.
- Seal and cook on high pressure.
How Long To Cook Sweet Potatoes In The Instant Pot?
It will depend entirely on the size of your sweet potatoes. The potatoes I used in this recipe were about 8 to 10-ounces each (medium sized) and 15 minutes cooking time was perfect.
For smaller sweet potatoes which are about 4 to 6-ounces, reduce the cook time to 12 minutes.
What Size Instant Pot Should I Buy?
If you cooking for one or two, the 3-quart Instant Pot is the perfect size. It's ideal for individuals who cook only for themselves, college students, or for empty nesters.
With most of the features of the larger versions, this smaller option is perfect for small kitchens or to use in an RV.
If you are cooking for one but still do a lot of meal prep and batch cooking, you might want to go with the 6-quart.
What To Serve With Sweet Potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes are perfect for stuffing with BBQ chicken, pulled pork, black beans and cheese, or even chili.
I love to enjoy them plain, with just butter and a pinch of salt. You might like to serve a sweet potato with any of these single serving recipes:
Sweet Potato Recipes
Use the sweet potatoes in any of these single serving sweet potato recipes:
For this easy Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes recipe, I use an Instant Pot Duo Mini 3-quart. For best results, use an Instant Pot of similar size.
If you would like additional information on the dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes we use, please visit our Store page.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup water
- steamer trivet
- Scrub skin of sweet potatoes with a brush until clean.
- Add water to the Instant Pot.
- Place the steaming trivet inside, and lay the potatoes on top.
- Place the lid on and secure it. Turn the pressure release knob to a sealed position.
- Use the manual mode and cook at high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When pressure cooking is complete, use a natural release. (After the cooking time has completed, the Instant Pot will automatically turn to "Warm" mode and the pressure will slowly release naturally, this process takes about 10 minutes).
- When this process has completed, remove the lid and remove the sweet potatoes from the Instant Pot.
- Enjoy immediately. Leftovers can be safely stored in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to four days.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.