Rich and creamy hot chocolate recipe – The best tasting homemade hot chocolate! Made with milk, cocoa powder and sugar. So easy to make!
A mug of rich and thick hot chocolate is perfect to enjoy on a cold winter day and there’s something especially wonderful about homemade hot chocolate.
This homemade hot chocolate recipe delivers a mug of hot chocolate that is so much richer than hot chocolate that comes from the store bought packets. In fact, this single serving recipe is a scaled down version of the hot chocolate I made when my five children were living at home. I would make a big pot of hot chocolate every time the weather turned cool and I always had it simmering on the stove during the holidays.
This recipe will make enough for 1 large mug of hot chocolate or 2 small cups.
Homemade Hot Chocolate
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
Ingredients In Hot Chocolate
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- Start by heating 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of cream in a small saucepan. You can skip the cream if you’d like and instead add 1 cup of milk but I prefer the richness of the hot chocolate when it’s made with that little bit of cream. You can definitely taste a difference.
- While the milk and cream are heating, mix together cocoa powder, sugar and a touch of cinnamon in a separate bowl. Pour the powdered mixture into the hot milk/cream and stir for about 4 minutes. As the sugar and cocoa melt into the milk, the chocolate mixture thickens and becomes darker.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in a little vanilla extract. Pour the hot chocolate into a mug, top with marshmallows if you’d like and enjoy!
Quick, easy and incredibly delicious. It’s like drinking a mug of pure chocolate.
Other Single Serving And Small Batch Chocolate Recipes
For information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Hot Chocolate Recipe For One
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the milk and cream into a small saucepan and heat to a simmer over medium heat.
- Stir together the sugar, cocoa powder and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Stir the cocoa/sugar mixture into the saucepan. Stir and simmer 4-5 minutes. Be careful not to let the milk boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour into cup and enjoy.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.