This Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe is adapted from my family’s favorite broccoli cheddar soup recipe. Creamy, extra cheesy and filled with broccoli. This single serving recipe will surely become your favorite too.
This broccoli cheese soup recipe is just the right size if you’re cooking for one. It’s rich and creamy and filled with broccoli.
If you’re a fan of the popular Panera’s broccoli cheese soup, you won’t be disappointed with this easy soup recipe.
When I’m out running errands or meeting friends for lunch, Panera is often the lunch destination we choose and their broccoli cheese soup is one of my favorite things to order.
Intent on enjoying this restaurant classic at home, I set out to recreate my own copycat recipe for cheesy broccoli soup for my family. The original version of this recipe serves seven.
I’ve scaled down the ingredients in my original broccoli cheese soup recipe and created this wonderful, single serving soup.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- broccoli florets
- olive oil
- chopped onions
- chicken broth
- heavy cream or whole milk
- cheddar cheese
- chili powder
Make It Vegetarian!
To make a vegetarian broccoli cheddar soup, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I actually love using vegetable broth, it really enhances the flavor of the broccoli.
Make It Gluten Free!
Make this a gluten free broccoli cheese soup by eliminating the flour and using cornstarch or arrowroot instead. Or, you can leave the flour out altogether.
What To Serve With Broccoli Cheese Soup
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients leftover from this soup recipe, you might consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes:
- Broccoli: Broccoli with Sausage, Italian Pasta Salad, Green Curry
- Onions: French Onion Soup, Chicken Fajitas, Goulash
- Chicken broth: Rice Pilaf, Chicken and Dumplings, Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Heavy cream: Vanilla Ice Cream, Two Ingredient Chocolate Mousse, Alfredo Sauce
- Cheddar cheese: Macaroni and Cheese, Taco Casserole, Cheesy Baked Eggs
- Cumin: Butter Chicken, Baba Ganoush, Vegetarian Chili
- Chili Powder: Beef Tacos, Chicken Chili, Shrimp Tacos
Other Single Serving Soup Recipes
- French Onion Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Thai Shrimp Soup
- Curried Carrot Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Chicken Noodle
- Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Soup
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- salt, to taste (optional)
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a rapid boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook until crisp-tender, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl filled with ice water. Leave broccoli in the ice water for 2 minutes, then transfer broccoli to the colander to drain.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute longer.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the broth.
- Stir in the cream.
- Bring soup to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; then reduce the heat to low and simmer.
- Stir in the cheese, cumin and chili powder.
- Simmer the soup for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cooked broccoli.
- Season with salt to taste.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Click HERE to sign up to receive new single serving recipes in your inbox!