Hamburger Casserole For One
This mini hamburger casserole is baked with seasoned ground beef, pasta, and cheese. It's comfort food at its finest, easy to make and full of flavor.
Servings: 1 serving
5-inch baking dish
- 2 ounces uncooked penne pasta (2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese , for topping
Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
Heat oven to 350° F (177° C).
In a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil 30 seconds. Add ground beef, onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook, breaking the ground beef up with a spoon or spatula until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Drain and transfer ground beef and vegetables to a medium-sized bowl.
Stir in the tomato sauce, sour cream, cooked pasta, and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
Pour into a baking dish lightly greased with butter or oil. Top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- I typically use 90% lean ground beef for this dish. This means that the ground beef has 10% fat content. It is still flavorful but without a lot of grease. If you use beef with a higher fat content, be sure to drain the cooked beef on a paper towel-lined plate before adding it to the bowl.
- I recommend shredding your own cheese for this recipe. Pre-grated or pre-shredded cheese often contains preservatives meant to keep the shreds from clumping together in the bag. This means the cheese won't melt as well when cooking.
- You can substitute the penne with any pasta you have on hand.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 742kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 160mg | Sodium: 1115mg | Potassium: 993mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1455IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 497mg | Iron: 4mg