Small Batch Apple Fritters
Crispy on the outside and soft with sweet bits of apples and crunchy pecans on the insides, these Apple Fritters are a delight. Lightly dusted with powdered sugar, this small batch recipe will yield about four fritters, depending on how large you make them.
Servings: 4 fritters
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup chopped, cored, and seeded red apple
- ¼ cup pecans , chopped
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Stir in water, gently fold in apples and pecans, and set aside.
In a deep, 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, add enough canola oil to come halfway up the sides. Heat to 350°F.
Using a large metal spoon, carefully drop dough into oil and fry 4 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
Use a slotted spoon to remove fritters from pan and drain on a large paper towel-lined plate.
Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy while warm.
- Don't overmix the batter. Overmixing will make the fritters tough.
- Use a pan that is larger than you think you will need. I find a 2-quart saucepan to be the perfect size for this small batch apple fritter recipe.
- Don't overcrowd the saucepan when frying the apple fritters. Fry 2-3 fritters at a time. Adding the batter to the pan will cause the temperature of the oil to drop which will cause the fritters to take longer to cook, resulting in them being undercooked on the insides.
- Try to maintain a constant temperature of 350 degrees. You will need a thermometer to make sure the oil is always at the correct temperature. Make sure that the tip of the thermometer is not touching the bottom of the pan.
- Allow the fried fritters to drain on a paper towel before eating.
Serving: 1fritter | Calories: 158kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 93mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg