Clam Chowder For One
Easy to make, creamy clam chowder recipe made with bacon, a potato, cream, and plenty of chopped clams. Wonderfully creamy and incredibly delicious. This single serving New England clam chowder is hearty, comforting and can be ready in just 30 minutes!
Servings: 1 bowl
- 1 slice bacon
- 1 celery rib , chopped
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 small potato , peeled and cubed
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup, plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half , divided
- 1 (6.5-ounce can) chopped clams , with the juice
In a 2-quart saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain; set aside.
Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Stir in the potatoes, broth, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 12-15 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine flour and half and half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
Stir in clams, clam juice from the can, and 2 tablespoons of half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Pour into a bowl, crumble the cooked bacon and sprinkle over the top of the soup.
- Clam chowder needs a flavorful start so we recommend cooking bacon and using the fat that is rendered to cook the onions, celery, and garlic. You could use pancetta or chorizo that's been crisped up instead.
- The perfect clam chowder shouldn't be too thin or too thick. You can slightly thicken the chowder by mashing some of the cooked potatoes along the side of the pot. If you find the soup to be too thick, add a little extra half and half or broth.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 1042mg | Potassium: 996mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 209IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 2mg