Crawfish Étouffée For One
Easy Crawfish Etouffee For One! A classic Louisiana seafood dish filled with vegetables and crawfish simmering in a delicious tomato based sauce.
Servings: 1 person
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell peppers
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups seafood stock or chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes (about 1 medium roma tomato)
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon hot sauce (add more if you like a spicier étouffée)
- 3 ounces crawfish tails
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 cup cooked white rice , for serving
In a 10-inch skillet set over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir continuously to make a roux. Stir the roux over medium heat until the color of peanut butter, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the onions and bell peppers to the roux, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, 1 minute.
Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring often for 1 minute.
Add the stock, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add crawfish tails and lemon juice and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in green onions. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve over hot rice.
- Make sure you spend the time to make a roux. The roux helps to thicken the étouffée and is necessary for the dish.
- This recipe doubles well. If you would like to make extra, just double the ingredients and cook for the same amount of time.
- Store etouffee in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last for 5 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 610kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 665mg | Potassium: 575mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1381IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 2mg