Panna Cotta For One
This classic panna cotta recipe is made with just a few simple ingredients. This Italian dessert is velvety smooth and creamy with a delicate sweetness. Indulge yourself with this easy to make decadent single serving dessert.
Servings: 1 person
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pour the milk into a 1-quart saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin over the milk. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes or until the gelatin looks as if it has dissolved slightly.
Warm the milk over low heat, stirring or whisking frequently for 2 minutes. Be careful not to let the milk boil or simmer, the gelatin will dissolve quickly as the milk warms.
Stir the sugar into the milk and add the cream, stir constantly until the sugar dissolves, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour into a ramekin or dessert bowl and chill.* If you would like to unmold the panna cotta, lightly grease the ramekin before pouring in the panna cotta mixture. Unmolding is not necessary, you could also eat the panna cotta right out of the dessert bowl.
Chill until firm for at least 2 hours but possibly up to 4 hours.
How To Unmold A Panna Cotta
- If you are eating panna cotta out of a dessert bowl, it only needs to be refrigerated for 1-2 hours. If you are unmolding the panna cotta, chill it for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In this panna cotta recipe, I suggest using vanilla extract for flavoring but feel free to play around with other flavors. You might like to consider using:
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon of lemon juice and/or lemon zest
- shaved chocolate
- a pinch of cinnamon
- Fill a medium sized bowl partway with warm water.
- Run a sharp knife around the rim of the panna cotta.
- Dip the bottom of the dessert bowl or ramekin into the water and hold for about 5 seconds.
- Invert the ramekin over a plate and shake the ramekin a little so that it releases easily. Enjoy immediately.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 417kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 129mg | Sodium: 61mg | Potassium: 148mg | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 1422IU | Calcium: 127mg