Lasagna For One
A classic recipe for the best homemade lasagna! This mini lasagna recipe uses just 2 lasagna noodles and is layered with meat, cheese, and sauce.
Servings: 2 person
5-inch baking dish
- 2 lasagna noodles
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 8 ounces ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese plus extra for sprinkling over the top
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over a medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add in the minced garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for a minute more.
Add the ground beef to the pan and sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper over the meat. Cook and stir the ground beef until meat is no longer pink.
Stir in 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir the ricotta and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese together in a small bowl. Set the bowl aside.
To Assemble The Lasagna
Spread 3 tablespoons of the sauce into the bottom of a lightly greased small baking dish. Line the bottom of the baking dish with noodles.NOTE: If you are using unbroken lasagna noodles, they will drape over the sides of the baking dish.
Top the noodles with the meat sauce, followed by the Ricotta mixture, and 1/2 of the shredded Mozzarella.
Fold the noodles over the meat mixture to cover.
Top with the remaining sauce, Mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
Place the baking dish on a large baking sheet (to catch any spillage) and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until cheese on top has melted.
The size of your baking dish will determine how many layers you are able to add. In the pictures shown, I'm using a 5-inch baking dish and I can get one layer of filling between the noodles.
You can also break the lasagna noodles in half to create a second layer for the lasagna.
You can also use a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan for this lasagna recipe. In this type of a dish, you will be able to add an additional layer.
This Lasagna Recipe makes one large serving or can be a meal for two people if served with a side salad or vegetable.
- This lasagna recipe is made with Ricotta cheese but you can substitute with cottage cheese.
- To keep it simple, you can use jarred tomato sauce or you can make your own with our Small Batch Tomato Sauce recipe.
- Although this lasagna recipe calls for using ground beef, consider replacing half of the beef with ground pork for added flavor.
- Bake the lasagna in a dish that is about 5-inches in diameter or use a dish of a similar size. A mini loaf pan or large ramekin will work well.
- After the lasagna has cooked, let it set on the counter for at least 15 minutes before eating.
- I used a 5-inch dish in this lasagna recipe. If the cooking vessel you use is deeper or longer, you might be able to add another lasagna noodle to your recipe. Just keep in mind that you don't want to use a dish that is too much larger than the one suggested. It could result in a dryer lasagna.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 480kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 124mg | Sodium: 1205mg | Potassium: 651mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 710IU | Vitamin C: 9.8mg | Calcium: 401mg | Iron: 3.3mg