Coconut Cream Pie For One
An easy single serving coconut cream pie recipe featuring a rich custard filling and topped with an simple meringue topping. Made with just one egg and plenty of toasted coconut, it's the perfect dessert for one!
Servings: 1 serving
Electric hand mixer
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup half and half (or whole milk)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
For The Meringue
- 1 large egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
In a 1-quart saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in half & half until smooth. Cook over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat. Separate the egg white from the egg yolk and place them in two separate bowls (you will use the egg white for the meringue). Stir 1 teaspoon of the hot filling into the bowl with the egg yolk, whisking constantly. Continue to very slowly add the hot custard filling into the bowl, a teaspoon or two at a time while continuously whisking. Be sure to keep the egg moving so that it doesn’t scramble.
Return the filling to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Whisk and stir for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla, butter, and coconut. Pour into a ramekin or other small baking dish.
To Make The Meringue
Beat egg white and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy.
Beat in sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy.
Spoon onto pie filling. Spread evenly over filling.
Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F (177 degrees C), until browned.
Top with any remaining coconut, if desired and chill for a minimum of 2 hours before enjoying.
TO TOAST COCONUT
Stove Method (preferred)
- Place 1/2 cup of coconut in a medium sized skillet.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently until the flakes are mostly golden brown.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Spread coconut flakes on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 5-7 minutes.
To Make Shortbread Cookie "Sticks"
As shown in the photos
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons, plus 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Heat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat lining.
In a small mixing bowl, beat butter, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and vanilla together with a hand mixer until creamy.
Add flour and beat until well mixed.
Knead mixture 3 to 4 times until dough forms a ball. Gently press down on the dough with the palm of your hand or use a rolling pin so that the dough flattens to about ¼-inch thickness.
- Slice the dough into 1-inch strips and sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of sugar evenly over each of the cookies. Transfer to the baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely for 10 minutes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 781kcal | Carbohydrates: 89g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 34g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 285mg | Sodium: 216mg | Potassium: 204mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 72g | Vitamin A: 420IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg