Easy, cheesy and absolutely delicious recipe for Caprese Toast made in the toaster oven. Slices of toasted Italian bread topped with a flavorful basil ricotta spread, creamy mozzarella, roasted tomatoes and a lovely balsamic vinaigrette.
A Caprese Salad is one of my favorite salads. I love the fresh taste of the tomatoes, the creamy mozzarella cheese, the sweet taste of fresh basil and the balsamic vinaigrette drizzled over the top.
A beautiful Caprese Salad is not only a feast for the eyes, but for the taste buds as well.
Caprese Toast Recipe
For this caprese toast recipe, I’ve combined all the wonderful ingredients found in a classic caprese salad and incorporated them into little hand-held caprese toast which were made in a toaster oven.
To this classic flavor combination, I’ve added a layer of creamy Ricotta cheese mixed with sweet chopped basil and grated Romano cheese.
Caprese toast are quick tasty bites that are so easy to make!
I start with a good loaf of French or Italian bread and slice the bread into 1/2-inch slices. Place the slices of bread in a toaster oven and toast them one side.
Next, prepare the ricotta mixture that you will spread over the untoasted side. It’s a simple blend chopped fresh basil, ricotta, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a little salt and pepper.
Now for the tomato mixture. I like to use cherry tomatoes that I slice in half and combine them with a clove of minced garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That’s it!
To construct your caprese toast, spread a layer of the ricotta-basil over the top of the untoasted side of bread.
Add a slice of mozzarella cheese over the spread.
Now spoon the delicious tomato mixture over the mozzarella.
Pop them in the toaster oven for about 10 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese has melted. It’s okay if the tomatoes roll off the toasts. They’ll still roast up nicely and then you can just spoon them over each piece of toast after they’ve toasted.
As you can see, these caprese appetizers are super easy to make in a toaster oven. They are made with healthy ingredients and make a great little meal for yourself or to share.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Caprese Toast Recipe
- 4-6 slices of French or Italian Bread
- 5 fresh basil leaves ,chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese , sliced
- Heat toaster oven to 425 degrees F. Toast one side of the bread until golden.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chopped basil, ricotta, Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- Spread one-fourth of the ricotta mixture on each bread slice. Top with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the mozzarella.
- In a single layer, working in batches if necessary, bake toasts 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through and mozzarella is melted.
- Garnish with reserved basil.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.