This Gluten Free Chocolate Cake recipe is a rich, glorious dessert that’s perfect for date night, as a treat for yourself, or to share. This mini flourless chocolate cake is topped with an easy to make strawberry whipped cream.
If you’re searching the best tasting gluten free chocolate cake recipe, you can stop searching now. Today I’m sharing an easy to make Mini Gluten Free Chocolate Cake recipe topped with Strawberry Whipped Cream.
If you like chocolate, you will absolutely love this chocolate cake. This cake is incredibly rich and decadent and reminds me a little bit of fudge.
Pure chocolate taste with a texture similar to that of a fudge brownie. Being a gluten free dessert is just a bonus.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
If you have a small 6-inch or so springform pan, that’s perfect to use. My springform pans are all about 9-inches and they are too large. I happen to like the look of this cake presented in a dish such as the one shown. You can either slice the cake when you’re ready to serve or grab two forks and enjoy the cake straight from the dish.
FYI, a loaf pan would work too.
This cake is just right for chocolate lovers, it’s dense yet moist and tender. Sort of a cross between a chocolate cake and a mousse.
As the cake cools, the center collapses slightly and the crusty top begins to crack. This is exactly what is supposed to happen. Fill the center with a cloud of softly whipped strawberry whipped cream.
How to Make A Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Step 1: Melt the chocolate
Combine chocolate, oil, and butter in a large heatproof bowl. Set over a saucepan of simmering water and heat until melted.
Remove the bowl from the pan of simmering water and set it aside.
Separate 2 eggs, placing egg whites and yolks in separate bowls.
Add cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, sugar and an additional whole egg to the bowl with the yolks and whisk until smooth.
Gradually whisk the egg mixture to the melted chocolate.
Beat the egg whites and sugar until firm peaks form.
Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
Pour the batter into a baking dish and top with a sprinkling of sugar.
Place the cake in a 350 degree oven (177 degrees C) and bake for about 25 minutes.
Top with either regular whipped cream or strawberry whipped cream.
For information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Recipe: Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter , cut into 1" pieces (plus more for the pan)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar , divided (plus more for dusting the pan and topping the cake)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
STRAWBERRY WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract flavoring
- 4 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Lightly butter baking dish and dust with sugar, tapping out any excess.
- Combine chocolate chips, butter and oil in a large heatproof bowl. Set over a saucepan of simmering water and heat, stirring often, until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from saucepan and set aside to cool.
- Separate 2 eggs, placing whites and yolks in separate small bowls. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and the remaining 1 whole egg to the bowl with the yolks and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Gradually whisk yolk mixture into chocolate mixture and blend well.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until frothy. With the mixer running, gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake about 25 to 30 minutes. Cake will begin to crack on top.
- Transfer baking pan to a wire rack to cool completely. (Cake will collapse in the center and crack further as it cools).
TO MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM
- Pour the cream into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, strawberry extract and red coloring (if using) and whisk using a large balloon whisk or an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
We’re new and we’re growing. Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Click HERE to sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox!